SC SHARE is the only statewide mental health consumer run non-profit organization
of its kind in South Carolina. The organization is open to anyone who
has a mental illness, substance use disorder and/or co-occurring disorder.
Mission and Vision:
- We believe that hope is the driving force of recovery, therefore
the mission of SC SHARE, a mental health organization, is to promote recovery principles
for the people of South Carolina suffering from mental illness, substance use disorder and/or co-occurring disorder.
How it started:
- Education: Developing and discovering the skills, knowledge and awareness to cultivate the recovery process in a supportive environment.
- Choice: Making informed, responsible decisions to empower the recovery process.
- Growth: Advancing and becoming in the recovery process by discovering your highest potential.
- Hope: The driving force to believe in the recovery process and the expectations for changes.
- Support: Being there to assist and encourage in the recovery process.
- Wellness: A positive state of recovery that leads to wholeness of mind, body and spirit.
- Community awareness and understanding: Education in the community that improves the public perception of mental illness, substance use disorder and/or co-occurring disorder and promotes recovery.
- Responsibility: Accepting ownership and accountability for self in the recovery process.
- Empowerment: having the tools, knowledge, skills and courage to grow, discover and proceed in recovery.
- SC SHARE began in 1985 with a small group of people who had the hope that they could
make a difference in the lives of people who lived with mental illness, substance use disorder and/or co-occurring disorder. These innovators
formed the organization we call SC SHARE and began self help support groups across
the state. Over 60 groups have come and gone in our history. As needs and trends
changed, some self-help support group members wanted more direction and guidance
for living a life of recovery. In an effort to adapt to the needs of its members,
SC SHARE developed a program called Recovery for Life: Helping Others Help Themselves.
What we do -->
Check out our history -->
SC SHARE is located 2 minutes from beautiful downtown Columbia. Directions to our
office from several different locations throughout the city and state can be found
Although it is rare, occasionally emails are “lost” and either not received
by us or by you. If you send us an email and do not receive a response within two
working days, please contact us by phone at (803) 739-5712.